I know. I know. Summer ended over a month ago. But, here's the thing - My denial of summer ending just ended hours ago.
It's cold. And it's only going to get colder. Plus, it might snow. Not today, I mean, but eventually. It's very likely that will happen, you see. And then I'll have to shovel and that hardly seems fair to me. If winter would just be so kind as to direct the snow to the grass only, it could all be forgiven.
Why is this a shock every single year? And why do I disdain the season that I once loved? Winter. Oh winter.
Fall was always my very favorite season. It's what I missed the most when I lived in California. Hands down. I did miss my family, mind you, but I could visit them and talk to them on the phone. I couldn't talk to fall. Couldn't smell it. Or walk in it. I missed in a whole awful lot. Obviously, not in the aching way you miss your loved ones, but in a desire, longing, nostalgic sort of way. Loves me some pumpkin farms. In Victorville, we had pumpkin parking lots on the very busiest of all roads. Not the same. I loved fall. I still do, in fact. And I'm willing to forgive fall the crap weather of this year. Forgive - Not forget. Watch yourself fall.
But, fall has fallen out of favor (seriously, did not intend the pun) to give way to a passion for summer. Oh how I love summer. Now that Eli is here and mine and a buddy - Oh how I love it.
Summer means time. Days and weeks stretched out in front of us to do what we want. Stay up late? No problem - We can sleep in. Don't sleep in? No problem we can take a nap and then stay up late again. Want to go to a park? Vamanos. Beach? We're there. Pool? Yes, indeed I will set aside my dignity and don a swimsuit. Park? Let's pack a snack and go. And when we're at each and every one of those places, he wants to play with me. ME.
It was always my dream to be a stay at home mom. And I could and would gladly do that in an instant. Except for one little, itty, bitty issue. Eli likes a house to live in. And food. And he keeps on growing. What the heck is that all about?! Summer gives me a chance to try the stay at home mom thing on for size. And to try it on in it's most flattering season. It fits well, mostly. No Suzy Sunshine here - There were days I wanted to peck my eyes out. Days I counted the minutes until bedtime. Days I had dreams of work. I might have even cried once.
But, mostly, it was bliss and I wouldn't change it for the world. Even though it was so hot I not only suffered the discomfort of thighs sticking together, but the indignity too.
We beached it often - Our favorite being when we visited our most awesome friend Mary (shout out to Maaaaarrrry!) in Michigan. Sidenote: Why, oh why, do they get gloriously clean and beautiful Lake Michigan and we get floating sludge and human waste. Not fair.
We discovered a love for hiking. Little man was an exceedingly good sport when I got us lost on a loop trail. Indeed - A loop. Like a circle. But I missed the turnoff. I'd say I'm the only person in the world who could do such things, but I would lay money my sister could as well. .
We swam. At beaches and pools. Eli discoverd the joy of standing over a fountain with countless other small children while the water entertained him. Indeed, they do enjoy that.
We rode bikes. Correction - Eli rode his bike and I chased him yelling threatening things about how I'd give it away to some other child if he did NOT STOP AND WAIT FOR ME!!!!
We played with people. Two dear old friends made a stop in Wisconsin on their vacation and we enjoyed that visit very much. It was like no time had passed at all, in spite of it being 12 years since I'd last seen them. I value that. If only 2,000 miles didn't separate that friendship. But, we will play again...We will.
We camped. Twice. With no showers or bathrooms. Well, the second time we snuck away to a hotel at night, but during the day we had no bathroom. That was roughing it. He loved camping. What isn't to love when you're a little boy? Dirt. Treasures. Campfires. He had strong desires to earn his Campfire Badge, but it turns out he was too young for mom to let him start a fire. He did, however, earn his Beer Fetching Badge by learning Uncle Randy's prefered beer and how to open it. I am very proud. Plus, I am very hopeful that he doesn't tell his teachers about that.
We did museums. And indoor play places. And anywhere that was running the air conditioning and wasn't our house.
Summer - My old friend. Thanks for the great time. This time in Eli's life is short and precious. I am his everything and he wants to be with me ever so much. A magical little stage and I thank summer ever so much for our time together.
Next summer will end with Eli starting school. Real school. And every year after that, that's what will happen. I am trying for the life of me to figure out how that happened. Where the last three years went? And I can't. I get it now - All of you who said, "It goes so fast. Cherish each moment." I do get that. The days are long...The years are short. And then they're gone and you'll never get them back.
So, I am thiankful tonight for summer and my time with Eli. For the times he was my best buddy and the times I wanted to run screaming from this parenting gig. Someday, maybe very long from now, he will look back on his childhood and I'm glad he will be able to remember us. And carefree days. And special outings. I am glad.
Adios Summer. I WILL enjoy winter. There are a million memories to make here too..
Thanks so much for sharing the "magical little stage." BRAVO! I needed a Kleenex for this one...
ReplyDelete